What Are Braces?
Braces improve the appearance and function of your teeth. This treatment involves the use of brackets and wires to shift your teeth into the desired position. These corrective devices will put pressure on your teeth and slowly move them in the proper direction.
Contrary to popular belief, braces aren’t just for children. Teens and adults also wear them to straighten their teeth.
This is because braces is very effective at addressing:
- Crooked or overcrowded teeth
- Irregular spacing in between teeth
- Irregular bites (overbite, underbite, crossbite)
- Protruding upper teeth
What Are the Different Types of Braces?
Here at Marvel Orthodontics, we offer two types of braces for adults, teens and children:
Clear braces are made of either porcelain or ceramic. Their translucent nature makes them virtually unnoticeable. They offer the freedom of straightening your teeth while smiling with confidence throughout the process.
What Are the Pros & Cons of Braces?
Check out some significant pros and cons you should be aware of:
- Convenience: Unlike Invisalign, braces require minimum compliance as they are glued onto your teeth. This means your treatment will be in full effect 24/7 as you won’t need to worry about taking them off and putting them back on.
- Faster treatment: Because you’ll always be wearing them, you will achieve the expected result sooner compared to other treatment types.
- Can correct complicated issues: While Invisalign is designed for more minor issues, braces are meant for any degree of orthodontic correction.
- Appearance: Metal braces can make a bold statement, however, if that is not you, ceramic braces are a great alternative as they are hardly visible and much more discreet.
- Discomfort: It can be a learning curve to get used to the brackets and wires in your mouth. But typically after a week, our patients get used to them and don’t even notice them anymore!
Braces are a great way to correct mild to severe orthodontic problems and in fact is the gold standard in orthodontic treatments. We highly recommend them to our patients in Gordon and surrounding suburbs, who are looking to improve their smiles.
What You Should Expect During Treatment
To begin treatment with braces, your orthodontist will first assess your oral condition. They will create a plan tailored to your orthodontic needs. From there, you will get your braces put on. You’ll come in for an in-person visit every four to eight weeks for an adjustment and to ensure your treatment is progressing as planned.
How to Look After Your Braces
Patients who have braces will need to adopt a strict oral hygiene routine. Gently brush each bracket and floss in between them to eliminate food particles and unwanted plaque buildup.
Without proper hygiene measures, you will increase the risk of cavities and permanent white spot lesions on your teeth.
We will go through in detail what you can and cannot eat on the day you get your braces fitted. But in general, you should avoid sticky and hard foods like bubblegum and popcorn, as these can cause your brackets to break.
Book Your Orthodontic Consultation Today
If you’re ready for your braces and achieve a picture-perfect smile, book a consultation with our specialist orthodontist today! Our practice in Gordon, is dedicated to helping you improve your smile as efficiently and comfortably as possible.